Main | March 2005 »

February 24, 2005

Really (really!) communicating

Dalager points out that despite our rhetoric of openness, dialog and the feedback loop, we at Organic fail to communicate clearly on our website (well, that's not what he writes, but we do). We don't have a company/product blog, nor do we link to the weblogs of the individuals involved in Organic.

My claim is that blogville always will figure out who we are itself (you probably already know more about us than our investors do), but that explanation doesn't quite do. Please see our gathering yesterday as the first small step in getting closer to the individuals using our product. It does have our utmost priority!

Posted by Nikolaj Nyholm at 02:56 PM | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Organic Screencast

Our soft-launch yesterday was by our own measure a great success. Nearly 60 people showed up to listen and talk back. 17 people ended up going home with a Linksys access point flashed with our firmware, ready to run a community network node.

As a clear proof of individual participation, Niels Hartvig has done a way better job in documenting the setup of a new Organic network in his screencast (rewind the video if it does not play first time around -- shockwave error?).

Hey - this is getting fun!

Posted by Nikolaj Nyholm at 02:49 PM | Comments (1) | TrackBack

February 22, 2005

Barry's Kensington Toilet Paper Hack

While it's already old news within the Danish blogosphere, star-editor and blogger Henrik Føhns was on DR2's evening news, Deadline, this last Friday. As one example of the power of blogs over corporates, Henrik mentioned the infamous Kryptonite Bic Pen hack.

This brought into memory my good friend Barry The Key Wells' great Kensington toilet roll hack (scroll forward to 13:48) back at O'Reilly's EuroFoo camp in late August 2004.
Kensington provides an insurance for computers stolen while locked -- how does this apply when the laptop has been stolen with a toilet roll?

Posted by Nikolaj Nyholm at 05:25 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

February 17, 2005

Remix Your Network

etech125x125.gif
This year's theme at O'Reilly's Emerging Tech Conference (Etech) is Remix. I have to say I outright fell in love with the word from the first time Rael mailed me about this year's conference in October.

Remix has the potential to reach a much wider audience than hack, due not only to the negative connotations of hack and hackers among ordinary users, but also because remix -- and the capacity/power remixing assumes -- is in the vocabulary of any record-/MP3 spinning (ex-)teenager around.

Rael Dornfest, Tim O'Reilly & co. have put on a great line-up of speakers and sessions, to which I'm naturally honored to contribute.
I'll be speaking about how we at Organic have remixed central services with software components on Linksys' commodity wireless routers

DJ, put a record on...

Posted by Nikolaj Nyholm at 06:24 PM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

February 15, 2005

Organic Network Show-and-Tell

[Update: Apologies to those who have tried to comment in vain. Hereby fixed.]

While it's our clear intent to make some noise by announcing interesting partnerships over the next couple of weeks, we'll be hosting an informal soirée next Wednesday in Copenhagen, for a show-and-tell of what we've been up to..:

Where? Admiral Gjeddes Gaard (courtesy of Jeanne and Martin von Haller Grønbæk) -- map.
When? Wednesday, Feb. 23 2005, 19.00 - 22.00.

Hope to see you there (please ping me (nikolajn [at] organicnetwork.net) or comment this post if you're coming!

ps. We’ll be doing a similar launch in Amsterdam as soon as we have found an appropriate venue (ping me if you have one for loans).

Posted by Nikolaj Nyholm at 12:11 PM | Comments (5) | TrackBack

February 14, 2005

Organic Network Soft-launch

A significant reason for starting to blog again is simply my need for a venue to communicate on developments at work. As most of you who know me personally know, I have for the last 21 months been shifting my time and energy from Ascio/Speednames to Organic Network.
It's been a tough birth. While our team has been turning out prima quality technology and solutions, our initial assumptions of the market and its readiness clearly failed. The interest among ISPs and telcos for our technology was initially overwhelming but quickly waned as budgets and timetables for implementing new WiFi projects suddenly shrunk.

Late November we took the decision to confront the market head-on with our own set of services. The first of these, WirelessOffice, a secure and manageable WLAN service based on cheap commodity Linksys wireless routers and a hosted service, went online two weeks ago.

We’re trying to target the lower-/medium-end segment of the market largely ignored by solutions from Symbol, Nortel, Cisco and the like, all capital-intensive once you add up hardware, software, integration and maintenance.
By rewriting the firmware for the world’s most popular WiFi router, the Linksys WRT54G, we’ve kept hardware expenses at a minimum (as low as €50/$65).
And by running WirelessOffice as a hosted service we’re able to couple the minimal incremental cost of adding each new WLAN with the benefits of rapid central software/feature updates.

We’re currently hard at work adding new features and signing on customers and partners, of which we hope to be able to announce significant news over the next few weeks. Stay tuned and until then have a go at a free trial..!

Posted by Nikolaj Nyholm at 04:08 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

About

About Nikolaj Nyholm

nikolajnyholm.jpgI was born in New Delhi and raised on five continents in New Delhi, Copenhagen, Nairobi, Los Angeles and San José, Costa Rica. I live in Copenhagen with my wife and two three children.

I currently serve as CEO of Polar Rose, a Malmö (Sweden) based startup.

Trained as an economist, my background is as an entrepreneur, co-founding several startups picking at the loose ends of topics ranging from DNS to identity to Wi-Fi to geo-presence (Ascio Technologies, Speednames, Organic Network, and Imity).
Most recently I was European Conference Program Chair for O'Reilly Media, Inc, co-chairing EuroOSCON (Brussels, September '06) and CustomerMade and working on helping bridge European open source and emerging tech communities across geographic and cultural boundaries.

I channel a lot of my creative energy into Wheatpaste, a collective of four friends with diverse backgrounds releasing novel web concepts, as well as being involved in a range of community efforts, from co-organizer of the annual reboot conference, to serving as advisor, board member or investor in IT and biotech startups.

You can contact me at nikolaj [a t] nyholm.net, or Skype nikolajn.

ps. I blog (slightly) more frequently over at the O'Reilly Radar.

Last updated: Nov '06

Posted by Nikolaj Nyholm at 02:01 PM

Riposte

While I might well have chosen the same words as when I first hit MovableType's publish back in January 2002, it is a vastly different space that I am returning to. Weblogging has gone beyond personal publishing and is now a standard tool for anything from teenagers gossiping to personal branding to talkheads podcasting, and - amid it's continued mockery of the medium - mainstream media has slowly been noticing.
Yet one thing has not changed; blogging and its derivative forms are the most candid and direct ways to communicate and it is this which draws me back.

I'm returning to public blogspace for the first time since killing the otherwise well-attested Digital Identity weblog sometime in mid 2003. Blogging digital identity was a great encouragement, but time moved me away from the subject. While I don't expect this weblog to have the same uptake on subject authority that blogging digital identity did, I really look forward to having a space for engaging in public dialogue.
I forget exactly whom (and Google is of no help), but an early Microsoft blogger formulated something along the lines of that the true power of weblogs is reaching all those whom you did not expect to reach.

Engage!